February 23, 2014

20/20 hindsight

It has been an interesting week, working on the new web-site.  We've tweaked the menu, altered the tree, and gathered photos of art work.  So far, so good.  Mixed media, check.  Oil pastels, check.  Sketchbooks, also check.  Watercolors, minimal check; only a small number of photos from close to seven years of painting.  So, where were the photos?

Checked every single thumb-drive I could lay my hands on.  No luck.  I've got the photos in the album, so I KNOW the electronic record is Around Here Somewhere!!  After searching for two days, I finally located the storage device with my watercolor photos -- a 3-1/2" floppy disc.  Right after the Elation of having found the lost lambs came the Realization.  What computer today takes 3-1/4" floppy discs?  With a little help from my friends, I located a plug and play drive, with the obligatory USB port.  E, Voila!

I still couldn't access the photos.  Turns out, the program I used to store the photos was from Kodak, who no longer offers support.  Looked some more, and found the original disc with the download for the program.  I thought I was in business, finally, finally.  That idea pooped out, too, after trying to load the disc on two different computers.  It seems the program was 9 years old, and the supporting technology and programs have advanced so far that the original program simply had the "vapors" and refused to load.

So, having spent almost a week seeking a solution, I'm back to square one, where I simply scan the photos into the computer, save them on SEVERAL devices as j-pegs, and hope the technology gods allow me the luxury of posting a few on those errant photos on the web-site.  Had I simply bowed to the Obvious Conclusion, I would have scanned them at the first sign of lost technology and saved myself a week.  Oh,  well.  I do have 20/20 hindsight.

No comments:

Post a Comment