March 2, 2014

Birdhouses

The weather is changing.  Today in the 60's, snow tonight, preceded by rain, freezing rain, sleet and DelDot trucks.  Tomorrow is definitely a day to stay home and putter in the studio-io.

I find myself continually drawn back to bird houses.  Specifically, there is one particular birdhouse I photographed over 15 years ago in a back yard in Bethany Beach, DE.  Those of you who are far away may not realize that Bethany Beach is a rather small community in the off-season.  But during the summer, the population swells to traffic jam proportions.  The ocean does that to people.

Anyway, Bethany, being such a small community has uncurbed alleys.  My husband and I were exploring one such quiet passageway, and saw this picturesque back yard with an amazing birdhouse.   It was a two-storey affair, with a triple-layer roof.  This birdhouse has featured in over 20 paintings.  Something about it I find so unique!   Someone took the time to construct a sturdy home for whatever passing birds might want to nest there.  Many species have very distinctive houses -- wrens, bluebirds, purple martins.  This particular house was not built for a specific bird, just any bird that found it comfortable.

I find myself remembering the starlings that built in an old purple martin house in our back yard.  I would hear them squawking and clattering for hours. "No, dear, the sofa goes THERE!  I think I prefer a south entrance -- we're moving!  This straw just doesn't match the drapes -- it's outta here!"  You get the jist.

Wind, weather, and one too many nor'easters have taken their toll.  We will retire that bird house this year.  Out trees are now large enough for the birds to nest in, so the martin house will not be missed.  But we will miss the annual spring decorating and the happy noises of our feathered neighbors raising their families.

I have not seen that alley birdhouse for years.  There is an indelible memory etched now in my mind. And like many memories, it changes with time.  Sometimes it's called "artistic license."  Other times it's simply selective memory.  Nice that we get to select the memories we keep!

No comments:

Post a Comment