March 16, 2014

The Easel Has Landed

After much cajoling from my friends and husband, I bit the proverbial bullet and bought a Real, Genuine, Professional Artist's Studio Easel.  Adjustable, solid birch, tall mast, and a tray for all kinds of accessories.  Yep, Morgan the Artiste has entered the big time!  This all came about as a result of the continual questions, "Are you going to paint bigger?"  My current easel is designed for plein air -- portable, three folding legs, lightweight.  I have used it in the Studio Annex (second floor bathroom) surrounded by plastic curtains and sheets, but it was not all that sturdy.  I think I could butcher a hippopotamus on this one, if I were in the mood for hippo, or had access to one, or even would consider killing and eating one.  The point is, this is One Sturdy Easel!

The Saga of the Easel began several weeks ago, when I decided to place the order.  I had researched various easels, made my decision, placed the order, and waited (anxiously, I might add) for the Arrival of the Blessed Easel.

It shipped on Feb 26.  And I waited.  And waited.  It was like waiting for Christmas morning and birthday, all rolled into one.  I tried so hard not to get too excited, and it was really tough!  I sort of half-expected it to be delivered that Friday, well, HOPED is probably a better word.  But, it was slated for delivery on Monday, March 3.  Remember March 3?  Remember the rain/sleet/ice/snow?  We had a state of emergency, here in Delaware, and the UPS trucks were't delivering.  (Oh, agony!  I have to WAIT!)  But, Tuesday's shipping info showed it Out For Delivery!  (Oh, Whoopee!)  after spending anxious hours at the door, I finally retreated, with the imprint of venetian blinds furrowed across my face, and the realization that I would not get the easel.  March 5 rolled around; oh, dear, more snow.  Delivery postponed, yet again.  But WAIT!!  There's a NEW message!!  "Damaged in transit.  Returned to sender."  Heart-fallen, I sadly returned to my snow shovel.  At least IT wanted me!

By Thursday, I realized that maybe, perhaps, I should call the shipper to double-check that they really WOULD reship the easel.  That's when I realized, most vendors and suppliers do not reship damaged-in-transit materials unless the shippee (that's me) lets them know.  They just credit your account, and that's that.  They reshipped immediately!  (Bless them, and the credits and payments would balance themselves out.)

Again, more anxious waiting.  But, by this time the excitement had worn off (wouldn't you know).  Thursday, March 13, a very kind UPS man delivered a 66# box of easel to my door!  YES!!  (fist pump!!)  The Easel Has Landed!  I managed to drag the huge box into the living room, and opened it.  It was rather obvious I couldn't navigate it out to the studio-io as it was, and pieces were easier to carry.  And yes, there were assembly instructions!  (Can you feeeellll the love?)

There was just one teensie little problem.  The single sheet of assembly instructions was written by one of those 10,000 angels who reside on the head of a pin.   But, I persevered and figured everything out.  It's just . . . I had these parts left over.  And I couldn't figure out where these 3 extra washers went, or this other little doodad was inserted.  So, I just called the vendor.  Made sense.  I had just spent 2 hours on Some Assembly Required, and had parts left over, and SEVERAL suggestions about the quality and legibility of the assembly instructions!   First comment, "Oh, yes.  The easel was returned in a LOT of pieces.  Can I send you the sheets of instructions I just found on the computer?"

So, now all I have to do is decipher the pictograms of the original instructions and compare it to the emailed instructions (which, by the bye, are super clear and easy to follow).  Or I can just put the spare parts in a little baggie in the "spare parts drawer," and paint.

I'm going to paint.  In 5 years, this will all seem part of the hilarious adventure called "The Easel Has Landed."  But for right now, my brain hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment