January 2, 2020

I'm Baaaaack!

I'm BACK.  Yes, it's been quite a while, and all I can say is that Things Happened.  It's been four years - a long four years.  Since last I blogged, there have been a lot of changes in my life, Heraclitus notwithstanding.  Briefly, my husband's failing health resulted in his death in July of '17. Since then, there has been an unceasing progression of change, which sees me now living in Milford, DE, and having my house on the market.
I worked through grief (yes, it is unending, but it changes with time), shifted my art studio around several times, decided to move, joined the Board of the Mispillion Art League, got rid of furniture, minimalized (THAT task is never-ending!), and joined a small group of artists at the Art League in putting on The Big Draw DE 2019.  That last event took place over the entire month of October, involved a number of art organizations throughout the state, and led to 50 free Saturday events for families and minimal-cost workshops and classes for both children and adults. And we're started planning for The Big Draw DE 2020.
Downsizing has its advantages, and its disadvantages:  a continuous evaluation and decision-making Adventure into "do I need this? . . . Really??"; where did I put my . . . ?; and What Do I Want To Do For The Rest Of My Life?
Creativity, as well as decision-making, can be as physically tiring as digging holes or carrying boxes. And I can provide personal affidavits as to the number of naps I am taking now.  Eating for one is a challenge, especially since cooking on an electric range is a new headache.  Making a smaller space work is interesting, since I moved from close to 3000 square feet to just over 1000. So, it's not just about taking my favorite chair, it's where to put it!  And finding the laughter on some days is extremely difficult.  Luckily, there are friends I can rely on to lift my spirits, as well as offer rides to the beach to watch sunrises.
But the BIG news is about Creativity. I am setting the studio up in the second bedroom of the apartment, and planning new work.  I also joined a writers' group - the Milton workshop - in November.  And while their theme is "just finish the damn novel," they are supportive of my poetry.
I've been writing for 40-odd years on a fairly consistent basis,  Most of it has been for personal consumption, and I've never really submitted it.  Until this week. I broke through the wall of my privacy, and sent a submission off.  We'll see where that takes us, but as I hit the SEND button on the laptop, there was a simultaneous feeling of elation and fear. Heady stuff.
Stay tuned! The Adventure Continues!

2 comments: